Tuesday, 14 August 2012

How to Keep Your Closet Within Budget

Hello, everyone! I'm pretty sure I've done a post like this before. It has been a while since I've started blogging, though, and throughout the bloggosphere, I've learnt quite a lot more tips and tricks on how you can stay on budget whilst still having a number of variety of outfits to choose from. Yes, if you surf the blogging world, you might see that most famous bloggers tend to receive 'courtesy of' pieces from designers or boutiques. However, being none of these bloggers, the rest of us have to struggle to create to-die-for outfits. Let me share with you a few tips that I could think of up until now.

 Some people feel the need to be embarrassed about secondhand clothes. I don't think that is necessary at all. Receiving hand-me-downs has been one of my favourite past times. My sister tended to be the impulsive buyer one whereas I just receive whatever she doesn't want or need anymore. That suits me just fine since: a.) I don't have to give any money away and b.) She might have cool stuff that have gone out of stock at the store. Double score! Vintage is so in these days which gives hand-me-downs all the more reason to be the best choice to keep yourself within budget. I myself have received this lovely batik dress from Vina (left) and this denim coat from my mom/sister (right). My friend, Zahra, found a very vintage dress formerly owned by her grandmother. Pretty, no?

 One of my favourite hobbies since moving to Germany. Does it give you goosebumps, the thought of wearing someone else's old clothes? Someone you don't even know, above all else. Well, don't! The thrift stores would surely have washed each and every one of them. Or, if you're unsure, you can wash it yourself before putting them on. Problem solved! Thrifting is way cheaper than actual shopping and it's mega fun, finding something unique that probably no one has ever found, well, in this era at least. FIY, some of the best clothing pieces I own I found through thrifting, such as this beautiful lacey vest from France -- apparently-- (left) and my favourite summertime madeline straw hat (right). Upon thrifting, Elizabeth has some helpful tips that might help.

For some of you who don't know, DIY stands for do-it-yourself. In this context, I am referring to modifying your old clothing items or thrifted ones or whatever you like and turn it into something new. Sometimes it also means creating something new from scratch with only a few simple steps. You don't have to be a pro at anything to do it. Of course, you don't have to come up with all the ideas on your own. For DIYs, I love reading on what Kinsey and Elsie have up their sleeves. Aside from them, Honestly WTF is also a great blog for DIY projects. So far, I've done three DIY projects, two of which include giving a heart to Mom's old sweater and growing fruits on a thrifted cardigan. DIYs help you give a makeover to that item you once dislike so much. So, before throwing away that too-long dress or that too-big blouse, think of what you can do to change it!

 The whole point of actually posting outfit photos is to remix a clothing item and create an endless amount of outfits with it. When you see a clothing piece, you should see beyond the blouse/ jeans/ skirt/ dress in your hands but also the outfits it can create. It amazes me everyday how one simple clothing piece can create so many different outfits with so many different feels and looks. You don't believe me? See for yourselves on my Mix It Up a Notch or Rebecca's Sunday Remix columns. She is such a remixing pixie! The picture below is how I remixed my one and only LBD. So you bought a bunch of items and don't know how to mix and match them well? Well, don't rush into things and give them away just yet. Check out Elsie and Emma's Fashion Mixology column! It is mega easy to put into action and very creative. This way you can create as many looks in as many times and as many occasions as you like. No need for new items.

 I'm going to level with you, I have never done this before. Okay, sure, my sister and I borrowed each others' clothes all the time and it was kind of natural for us but that has ceased to happen since we moved to two different continents -- she in Australia, I in Europe. Anyway, this has apparently been done a lot over the internet. For example, the girls over at Delightful Dozen have done so so many times, apparently. Aside from the fact that you would be getting a new item to wear and/or style, you get to see how the other person would/have style(d) it too. Recently, I borrowed Vina's blazer to style with her batik dress. It probably didn't count as outfit-swapping but it's close enough, right?
That's about all the tips I can share with you guys for now. As I typed this post, many more attacked my mind but I have yet any examples on them. If you have any other tips on this topic you'd like to share, please do share. Have fun saving money! Cheerio!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your kind comment. Please do stop by again soon!